Monday, July 1, 2013

Meagan Good: Too hot???

I personally have a low tolerance for any type of awards shows. To me they are just too long, drawn out and  i'll only usually watch if there's someone I really want to see. So being that last night the BET Awards were on I skipped it, but mostly because my mom was controlling the remote.

Throughout the day Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter updated me on what I missed...the fashions, the petty dramas, the winners, the performances and etc. One topic that stood out to me the most was on Meagan Good's wardrobe choice for the awards. It seemed the Christian community was a buzz with varying opinions on her style choice for the night.

Source: WENN

Now when I first saw the dress, it honestly didn't come as a shock. From my recollection, Ms. Good usually wears dresses of similar styles. However, as I fully took in the dress and peoples comments, my outlook began to change. Growing up an Adventist, I am no stranger to the "Image of Modesty" the church promotes and have also fallen "victim" (and I use the word "victim" with heavy sarcasm) to the criticism or comments from the elder church folk about things as simple as wearing a sleeveless dress. To me, modesty is more than about "just covering up." It encompasses being comfortable and secure as a christian in what we wear, but of course within reason. One of the no-so-easy concepts I am still learning to swallow as a Christian is the fact that I  am not here to serve and please myself but rather I'm here for God's glory and to be an example.

So, to my fellow fashionistas in the church or where ever you are, what are your thoughts on the topic of modesty in today's society?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress! but its not for someone who claims to be a Christians and is now trying live the Christian life. I'm not saying we must all model the fashion of dear sister White lol but this is definitely on the immodest side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the dress was good for the setting just like a swim suit is good for a beach and like jeans and a shirt is good for outside events I believe a dress like she was wearing fits the occasion modesty can be interpreted in so many diffrent ways what's modest for christians might not be modest for a muslim or a jew or what's modest for a young person might not always be modest for a older person everyone is a product of there time and up bringing and meagan wasn't wearing that dress to go to church, so for the event it was fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Abel lol um yes I am a supporter of dress for the occasion and there being a time and place for everything. I agree that A swimsuit is appropriate for the beach, and that jeans are appropriate for outside events, but it's a different story when you wear a thong bikini or say an extremely low cut shirt showing off all the goodies. And yes, modesty is subjective depending on whom ever is interpreting it but sometimes we all need to think twice about the reasons we put stuff on and the effect they will have on other people...that's all I'm saying.

      Delete
  4. I agree what ever someone puts on affect the people around you and how they lqueook at you I agree on that but we as a people feed on that it is why facebook intagram and tumblur are what they are now today they are what the young kids are calling thirst traps people in are soceity nowadays depend on the new sexy or the new look we thrive on finding out the new styles and what is relevent in todays fasion sister good yes had a very unique dress and accumulated a lot of attention for it but what's so different about what she had on hen the woman on the praise to that has a tight dress showing off her curves and behind? You say tomatoes and I say tomotto people are going to look regardless now and days you wearing and low cut bikkini to a regular bikkini there going to look and still have the mind set and plus she lo covered all the goodies nothing important wasn't showing.....by the way I love purple lipstick its a great read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly her nipples were VERY well defined in the dress. And yes people are going to look at times no matter what you do. But, Able the point of the matter and of modesty is to control what you can. A man cannot be stopped from looking at a woman's chest, but he can be stopped from looking at her cleavage. How you might ask? By reasonably covering up. The point is not to feed into it. If you do your part, I'm sure God will understand that. And thanks for the love Abel, Purple Lipstick appreciates it!

      Delete
  5. I apprciate purple lipstick!... and I understand what you mean I'm just a lil bias of course me and her go way back lol.... but at the end of the day modesty is define by the setting you are in that is all!!

    ReplyDelete